PEI Pharmacare FormularyThe PEI Pharmacare Formulary [PDF | 2.72 MB] is a list of prescription medications and medical supplies approved for coverage through PEI Pharmacare. The formulary is reviewed and updated continuously.
What is the Health PEI Formulary Drugs for Oncology?The Health PEI Formulary Drugs for Oncology [PDF | 2.88 MB] is a list of oncology medications that are funded by Health PEI through one of two funding channels:
- PEI Pharmacare (dispensed from community pharmacies)
- Cancer Treatment Centre Formulary (dispensed and administered at PEI oncology sites)
How do medications get added to the formulary?
The Provincial Drugs and Therapeutics Committee recommends additions to the PEI Pharmacare Formulary, including:
- new pharmaceutical products;
- new dosage forms;
- new strengths of existing products; and
- new uses for existing products.
Scientific and economic information, as well as recommendations from the Atlantic or Canadian Expert Drug Advisory Committee (AEAC or CEDAC), or the Pan Canadian Oncology Drug Review Committee (P-CODR) can influence whether a drug should be listed as a program benefit.
The drugs are listed according to the therapeutic categories developed by the American Society of Hospital Pharmacists.
What if the medication I need is not currently on the formulary?
Some medications in the PEI Pharmacare Formulary are approved on a special authorization basis only. If your physician prescribes a drug in this category, he or she can submit a Standard Special Authorization Request form [PDF | 34 KB] to have a medication considered for coverage.
If your medication is not included in the PEI Pharmacare Formulary, it will not be eligible for coverage.
What if I want to substitute a brand name drug for the generic drug listed on the formulary?
Unless special authorization is granted, you will have to pay the standard co-pay amount plus any cost difference between your requested brand-name product and the less expensive product on the formulary.
What medications are excluded from the formulary?
The following product classes are excluded from the PEI Pharmacare Formulary (exceptions are listed in the formulary):
- Over-the-counter (OTC) or non-prescription medications (with some exceptions);
- Weight-loss products;
- Soaps, cleansers and shampoo;
- Oral ergoloid mesylates (Hydergine);
- Peripheral vasodilators (Arlidin);
- Combination anti-spasmodic/sedative products (Donnatal,Librax, Stelabid);
- Combination sedative/analgesic products (Fiorinal, Tecnal);
- Allergy serums;
- Impotence and infertility treatments;
- Diagnostic agents (excluding diabetes); and
- Prostheses, medical devices, appliances and supplies including first aid supplies and syringes.
Is there a limit to the amount of medication government will pay for at one time?
All PEI Pharmacare programs have a maximum allowable supply of drugs that will be covered at one time. These limits are in place to reduce medication waste and to prevent potential risks associated with storing large quantities of medication at home.
How do I contact PEI Pharmacare?
16 Fitzroy Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4947
Toll free: 1-877-577-3737